Student/Recent Graduate Voluntary Work
The British Arts Festival Association are seeking a student or recent graduate with an interest in the arts to join them for twelve days over six weeks for a voluntary work placement. The position is flexible and we are looking for the student or recent graduate to start as soon as possible. Tasks involve supporting BAFA with website updates, social media, press and promotion for the annual student conference, A Festival Career. We are ideally looking for someone who would also be available for the event on 29 November at The Albany.
The British Arts Festivals Association is a vibrant membership organisation founded in December 1969, covering the widest span of arts and science festivals in the UK. Our member festivals include a huge range of genres including performing arts, literature, music, visual arts and outdoor arts. These include many of the large international cultural events, such as the Edinburgh International Festival and Cheltenham Festivals, through to small dynamic festivals such as the Corsham Festival and volunteer run festivals like Frome Festival and Proms at St Jude's.
Based in an exciting cultural hub at The Albany in Deptford, this opportunity will provide an insight into arts administration with a particular focus on arts festivals and events. Keen to work with your ideas and creativity and the list of tasks includes but is not limited to the following:
- Set up the weekly #Festivalfriday to engage BAFA festival members
- Recruit new people for Storify ‘A Day in the Life’ series aimed at highlighting real life experience of a career in festivals
- Post festival news on BAFA Facebook pages and groups
- Post jobs on the student Facebook group
- Read newsletters/arts news and post anything interesting in the field
- Sort the BAFA LinkedIn page- invite people, post discussion starters etc.
- Invite BAFA members to join the relevant Facebook groups
- Keep the jobs page up to date
- Check and update the Information Library links
- Source new resources for the Information Library
- Update the university membership pages
- Update the press contact list
A Festival Career/students
- Email updates to the students
- List the event on Arts News, Creative Scotland etc.
- Make a list of suitable university lecturers to contact about A Festival Career
- Update our student member records
- BAFA may ask you to undertake other tasks related to the post
- BAFA will reimburse travel up to £5 per day and lunch up to £5 per day.
- Either currently studying at university or recently graduated
- Experience of using social media
- Excellent IT skills
- Able to work independently
- Strong communication skills
- Experience of working with arts festivals
- Interest in the arts
How to apply
Email your CV and short cover letter explaining why you are interested in working for BAFA and how it will benefit you to email@example.com
Download the description document here