Festival or Organisation Name:
Festival or Organisation description:
Proms at St Jude’s promises fantastic 2018 season
Proms at St Jude’s, the annual music and literary festival in Hampstead Garden Suburb, has a fantastic programme lined up for its 2018 season.
Top performers include:
- the talented Kanneh-Mason Piano Trio, featuring Sheku Kanneh-Mason, the 2016 BBC Young Musician of the Year, whose recent album shot to the top of the Classic FM charts
- the stunning Aurora Orchestra, which plays from memory
- Nevill Holt Opera performing Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro
- award-winning local mezzo-soprano Grace Davidson with the renowned Academy of Ancient Music
- a traditional ‘Last Night’, replete with Jerusalem and sea shanties
All are expected to sell out.
“We have an embarrassment of riches,” said Proms spokesman, Ron Finlay, “but so much the better for those who are able to get tickets.”
Proms this year also offers a tribute to Bob Dylan; a Gilbert & Sullivan evening (HMS Pinafore); an amazing brass septet; and a jazz-influenced concert, including songs from the Great American Songbook and cabaret songs by Kurt Weill.
There are free lunchtime concerts and some special events for children and families. The festival also offers Heritage Walks; a two-day Literary Festival featuring authors such as grammar guru Lynne Truss and former National Theatre Director, Nicholas Hytner; and – for the first time this year – a stand-up comedy night.
Under-25s can go to any event for only £7.50.
Proms at St Jude’s is a wonderful community celebration providing first-class entertainment, and it’s run almost entirely by volunteers, with all surplus going to charity: North London Hospice and Toynbee Hall. Over £850,000 has been raised for good causes since Proms started in 1993.
The festival runs from 23 June to 1 July, at St Jude’s church, Central Square, NW11 7AH. Details and tickets at www.promsatstjudes.org.uk.
Further information and photos: Ron Finlay, email@example.com, 07779 013093.
Note to Editors:
Principal Sponsor: Investec
Other corporate sponsors: Bear Nibbles; Cello Group; DaCapo Music Foundation; Explore Learning; Giles Cooper Entertainment; Godfrey & Barr; HGS Residents Association; Osbornes Law.